Recent Posts

Friday, September 12, 2014

Folger Shakespeare Exhibit

The arms of Hampden-Sydney College

Recent line drawing of the arms of Hampden-Sydney College
 displayed as a flag 

Earlier this week, I was able to stop by the Folger Shakespeare Library on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC for their exhibit, "Symbols of Honor: Heraldry and Family History in Shakespeare's England," which is closing on 26 October.  The very first item encountered when you walk into the gallery is the honorary devisal of arms from the College of Arms, London to the President and Trustees of Hampden-Sydney College.  While I had seen this impressive work of art before in the College Museum, I was now able to see it with a better sense of knowledge.

I was also able to get the Latin blazon from the document.  The blazon was written in Latin especially for this document, I suppose as a way to reflect the College's commitment to the Classics.

The blazon reads: "In scuto oblique dextrorsus et sinistrorsus secto argenteo et aureo, una crux Sancti Andreae rubea inter in capite et ui uno aquilas expansas et in lateribus ferra jaculi caerulia duo, et in medio liber apertus in colore nativo, et inscriptus litteris nigris Greek inscription ("Ye Shall Know the Truth") et tegmine nigro consutus...

I am unable to get the Greek font to work on my blog, so I substituted in the English translation.  I would recommend the exhibit, it was lovely and I had never been in the Folger before which was a pleasant surprise.    

0 comments: