Recent Posts

Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Arms of The Rev. Alfred Hope Patten

The arms of The Rev. A. Hope Patten as found on his bookplate.

As I was scanning old files on my computer, I came across this photograph of a bookplate belonging to The Rev. Alfred Hope Patten (1885-1958), the English priest who was the man behind the restoration of the Anglican Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham.  I honestly think I got this photograph from a book that was being auctioned off on eBay which explains the quality.  Note the use of two black tassels from the gallero.

Nulla Pallescere Culpa roughly translates to "To turn pale at no crime."

Click here to view my post of the heraldry at the Anglican Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham.  To gain some more insight into Fr. Patten's arms, I've copied them in pencil and added the appropriate tinctures.

Copy of the arms of The Rev. Alfred Hope Patten, drawn by the author in pencil.

1 comments:

Ediciones aContracorriente asc said...

Dear Chad M. Krouse, please, could you tell me if there is rules to paint in gules (red) the inside the galero (roman capello). I like the inside gules in a galero sable (black) because the gule gives more deep to the drawing, thanks.