Recent Posts

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

St. Hugh of Lincoln

Today on the Church's Kalendar, we remember Hugh of Lincoln, Bishop and Confessor.  Hugh is a favorite of mine and I want to share with you my journey to his shrine.

I made my way on pilgrimage to Lincoln Cathedral this summer so that I may venerate Hugh's relics housed there at the cathedral.  The cathedral itself is massive, plainly understating its historic beauty which towers above the city of Lincoln.  I think, I cannot recall, that I had to pay to get inside the cathedral.  Against my own aversion to such practices, I was willing to pay whatever, since the trip down to Lincoln from Mirfield was already costing me more than I had imagined for such an expedition.  Plus, with two small children in tow, I was going to see the inside of this cathedral!

Hugh met my expectations.  The shrine is housed in the far eastern end of the cathedral, behind the high altar and surrounded by several small chapels.  I was simply humbled to be in the midst of this great saint, bishop, and confessor of the catholic faith.

I first learned about Hugh early in my seminary formation and my interest grew even more thanks to a BBC series on the cathedrals of England which devoted an entire episode to Lincoln Cathedral.

Double-click on the photos to enlarge them if you want to see more detail.




The western facade, currently undergoing renovation.




Inside the nave, facing eastwards.



The Shrine itself.  There is a rather hideous modern structure towering above it, a good try but rather odd and out of place.



Now you can see the spire of sorts.  Why?!?



The reliquary of St. Hugh.



The cathedra of the Bishop of Lincoln.




Painting of Hugh with his swan next to the Shrine.



My family braving the uphill expedition to the Cathedral.  I owed them big time.



The Icon of Hugh that I wrote in 2008 with words from the
American Collect on the scroll.
I put him in his Chartusian monastic habit.


Here is a Collect for Hugh, Bishop and Confessor from my newly acquired altar missal, The English Missal, Third Edition. (London: W. Knott and Sons, 1934).  More on the English Missal later.

O God, who didst wonderously adorn blessed Hugh, thy Confessor and Bishop, with pre-eminent merits and glorious miracles:  mercifully grant; that we may be stirred up by his example and enlightened by his virtues.  Through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

But, I may add that it does not even hold a candle to Hugh's Collect found in The Episcopal Church's Lesser Feasts and Fasts:

O holy God, you endowed your servant and bishop Hugh of Lincoln with wise and cheerful boldness, and taught him to commend the discipline of holy life to kings and princes: Grant that we also, rejoicing in the Good News of your mercy, and fearing nothing but the loss of you, may be bold to speak the truth in love, in the name of Jesus Christ our Redeemer; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen
May we all be inspired by Hugh's example and so be led to work with cheerfulness and boldness for the Kingdom of God.  Remember and keep St. Hugh in your prayers today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I concur, that spire thing is dreadful

Dr. Chad M. Krouse said...

I guess the original structure fell victim to the Reformation. Still, I was glad that I made the pilgrimage to Lincoln. He stands as one of my favorite saints.

How are you these days? Haven't forgotten our "O" Antiphon Project. I'll get there soon. Peace brother.

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? I only have a copy of The People's Anglican Missal American Edition.

I am doing well. How's the semester been? Group work overwhelmed you yet?