Recent Posts

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Chapel of the Apostles


Nothing, perhaps, causes more angst among seminarians than settling in to their new worshipping space. At The School of Theology, the Chapel of the Apostles (affectionately known simply as "COTA") is the rather awkward worship space for the seminary.  Consecrated in 2001, COTA is a wonderful place for meditative prayer and reflection.  Liturgically, it can be a challenging space.  It's also a challenge to take photographs inside...

About a year and half ago, we moved the space to be oriented in a "collegiate" style, with the congregation facing inwards with the altar and ambo on a direct plane--which actually goes baptismal font, ambo, and then altar.  Any hints as to where we stand with the proposition of an open table?  Alas, the seminary does not see itself as the laboratory for defying the canons of the Church.




Once inside, the narthex is centered around a large copper baptismal font.  And as a Sacristan of the Chapel, I can assure that this water gets changed religiously--pun intended (corny I know).
















I am willing to go out on a limb and say that Sewanee and most likely Nashotah House are the only Episcopal Seminaries with a chapel dedicated to Our Lady.  Here we have what I believe to be Our Lady of Guadeloupe, given the horns on the base.  It is in the Lady Chapel where we reserve the Sacrament and have a side reconciliation room as well.  We do boast the world's smallest seminary sacristy, getting vested in there with all the altar party can be a challenge too!

So call me nostalgic, I just wanted to have some posts of the places where I've been worshipping and building community lo these past three years.

3 comments:

Heather Tyner said...

Go on and be nostalgic! It was wonderful to see pictures of a place that I have many good memories and where I spent many long hours in prayer. I miss it - especially the Lady Chapel and the view out the back window. Thanks Chad.

Anonymous said...

The lady of the Lady Chapel, I believe, is Our Lady of Grace which also has the "horns" (the moon, btw). http://www.evangelicalcatholicchurch.org/OurLadyofGrace.jpg

Dr. Chad M. Krouse said...

That was my second guess, OL of Grace. Happy Thanksgiving to you both!