Recent Posts

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Around One Table: The Episcopal Identity Project

     

In the wake of the recent news from the Vatican, I thought it may be appropriate to open up a discussion on Episcopal identity.  From the National Office:

Five years of Research. Over 3,000 participants.

Around One Table is an invitation into a conversation. It's a conversation about who we are as Episcopalians — our identity, our wellness, our mission — and how our sense of identity is expressed through our lives and the call we explore in ministry.
Around One Table is a conversation that has already begun but is far from over. The 23 themes of Episcopal identity emerged through a four-year study called the Episcopal Identity Project. Do you find yourself and your core values among these themes of Episcopal identity? We'd like to know.
Around One Table is a conversation. We hope you will return here frequently.
Here being this link.  There being also the place where one can download the "Abbreviated" and Full-length reports of EIP.  I just learned of this project and found it interesting to note that there does not seem to be a lot of hype about this in the Church.  Perhaps the moans from the clergy at this past week's clergy gathering was indicative that are saturated with it?

So, what are the 23 themes of Episcopal identity?  Gosh, that sounds so market-speak and official. Let's see:


Core Episcopal identity (most tightly related and central themes): Christ as Central, Sacramental, Book of Common Prayer, Incarnational, Scriptural, and Pastoral. 

Secondary Episcopal identity (somewhat related and central themes): Reason, Inclusive, Tradition, Common Liturgy, Ceremonial, Experience, and Responsiveness to Societal Change. 

Tertiary Episcopal identity (less related and less central themes): Middle Way, Diverse Theological Positions, Ecumenical, Diverse Spiritual Practices, Prophetic, Source of Societal Change, and Dispersed Authority. 

Stand-Alone Episcopal identity (themes not related or central): Elite, Source of Salvation, and A-confessional. 

I don't want to sound skeptical, as a former amateur marketer in my former life, I appreciate data and know that data can drive some good, sound decisions.  But, only 92% of bishops in TEC responded to the survey!  I am guessing that this number included retired bishops which may mess up the numbers.

I do wonder how many Episcopalians in the pews would claim "Incarnational" as their identity?  I certainly would, but my mother who is a life-long Episcopalian probably could not tell you what that word means!

More to come...after an Ethics mid-term...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't suppose anyone bothered to say something like "English Reformed Catholicism" or something else that actually had something to do with Anglicanism. I mean, I understand the need for marketing and I suppose "buzz words" are important (to somebody), but when the waters are muddy, buzz does not count for clarity.

Harry Allagree said...

Having just read Around One Table, may I say that I was less than impressed. Certainly a lot of work was put into it, and I appreciate that. One always wonders about surveys, of course, if the sampling is really representative of the whole. For me the document really said nothing new, though I suppose there's a value in being able to neatly list things which indicate Episcopal "identity". Again, I think most intelligent folks in the pews will not find this earthshaking news. Also, I frankly felt that it wasn't that well written. My hunch is that, if it's even read by anyone, it will find its way to readers' files to be soon forgotten.