Recent Posts

Friday, September 19, 2014

Heraldic Banners of the University of the South (Sewanee)

The Arms of the University of the South displayed as a banner.


I am truly fascinated with flying heraldry.  In particular, I have long wanted to see what the arms of The University of the South would look like rendered as a banner or flag.  After trying to unlock the secrets of the Sewanee Tressure, I was impressed by just how grand and regal these arms appear from a pole.  I drew these with pencil and opted not to color them in as my colored pencils wouldn't do justice to these arms.  

The arms of the undergraduate college at the University of the South displayed as a banner.

I really like the undergraduate college's arms, which are blazoned, Azure (blue) three celestial crowns or (gold) within a Sewanee tressure of the second.  

The arms of The School of Theology at The University of the South displayed as a banner.

Most impressive of all three, in my opinion, are the arms of the School of Theology when appropriated for a flag.

Now, imagine these banners in full color inside All Saints' Chapel.  This is the pomp and circumstance that I believe Sewanee should have.  If only these beautiful arms would be used and appreciated more.


3 comments:

Rob Donehue said...

I agree wholeheartedly!!! I'm currently a middler at the School of Theology, and with your permission, I'd be happy to see if we can get a flag made. Waring McCrady, who designed the coats of arms, is a friend, and I'm sure he'd be happy to help get the project going. Please feel free to get in touch!
Rob Donehue
T'16
Donehrc0@sewanee.edu

Dr. Chad M. Krouse said...

Rob,

Always great to hear from a fellow Theolog! I've sent you an email and in case it doesn't go through, feel free to email me too. Thanks.

Chad Krouse T'10
chad.m.krouse@gmail.com

Daniel Stroud said...

Though I lived in Quintard next to the SoT, my seminary was VTS. Even so, I'd happily buy a flag of the arms of either the college or the University and hang it in my office! Might even buy two to fly one from my house! These look awesome.

Daniel Stroud C'07
djstroud@gmail.com