Recent Posts

Saturday, August 12, 2023

Heraldry and Discord: A Generous Community

 

Coat of arms of Pierre de Chaignon la Rose
The first digital emblazonment of the arms of Pierre de Chaignon la Rose (1872-1941) after his 1895 bookplate.  Digital rendering by "vErmines Love Supreme" and Encyclopedia Heraldica August 11, 2023. 

Several weeks ago, a friend of mine in the heraldry community suggested that I join the Discord server in order to participate with the Heraldry group there.  Previously, my social media interactions were limited to several vibrant Facebook groups, where each group has a particular focus--American Heraldry Society, Ecclesiastical Heraldry, Scholastic Heraldry (the group I founded during the pandemic), the Royal Canadian Heraldry Society, etc.  Click here to join the Facebook group on scholastic heraldry.  I took my friend's suggestion and downloaded Discord to my phone, set up an account, and was live in the group.  Immediately, and much to my suprise, I discovered that the community on Discord was extremely active, supportive, and engaged.

Based on my experiences with both Facebook heraldry groups and now Discord, there are several notable comparisons.  Facebook heraldry groups tend to skew towards an older audience.  Typically, I've observed sharper comments regarding posts, arguments between members, etc.  Generally speaking, however, these Facebook groups stay on point for whichever heraldic topic is the focus.  Because the members are older, they do offer deeper insights to heraldic conundrums, can quickly correct an error in a blazon, and connect histories and themes for given arms.  

The arms of the Heraldry Discord Server, created on May 24, 2022 and rendered by "ET72."

Discord, so far as I've seen, is much younger.  There is a ton of digital artists who will quickly, and I mean quickly, emblazon anything.  This experience gives me the feeling that heraldry is alive, it's real, and to see folks engaging with the subject in new and creative ways is truly palpable.  As an aside, I feel like even the arms of the group as seen above, wonderfully illustrates my point.  

The arms are blazoned: Per saltire Gules and Azure, a fret between two escutcheons in pale Argent and as many bees in fess proper.  The crest is blazoned: A demi-pantheon Azure charged with a semy of estoiles Argent and gorged of a coronet of oak-leaves Or, bearing in the forelegs a torch Gules enflamed Or. And the supporters are blazoned:  Two lions rampant regardant, the dexter Argent, the sinister Gules, both armed and langued Azure and gorged of coronets of oak-leaves Or.

Even the motto is on point: "By the arms knowst thou the man."

Case in point:  I asked in one subgroup to see if anyone was willing to take a shot at emblazoning the arms of Pierre de Chaignon la Rose (1872-1941), as I've yet to encounter a colored emblazonment (much less a digital one) anywhere.  I shared the blazon that I created based on la Rose's 1895 bookplate, an image of the bookplate, as well as my own line drawing.  For more background, please click here to read my previous post on la Rose's arms.  Within 24 hours, two members took up the challenge and rendered unique digital emblazonments.  Much to my delight, both arms look authentic, alive, and frankly beautiful.  Thank you Schnitzel, Herzog von Westfalen and vErmines Love Supreme.

The blazon that I give la Rose's arms as they appeared on his 1895 bookplate is: Azure, a lion rampant Or langued Gules and charged on the shoulder with a rose of the third barbed and seeded proper, holding in dexter arm a sword proper.  Motto:  Fortiter et Suaviter (Firmly and gently). 

So, I highly recommend joining Discord and the vibrant heraldry community there!  You won't be disappointed.  


Another digital emblazonment rendered by "Schnitzel, Herzog von Westfalen" on August 11, 2023.  I absolutely love the lion's expression.  It's almost like the lion is supplicating!  Amazing detail! 


My line drawing of la Rose's arms as they appeared in 1895, drawn on June 9, 2020.

The bookplate of Pierre de Chaignon la Rose from the Houghton Library, Harvard, 1895

0 comments: