Recent Posts

Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Revisions & Updates

The arms of The Episcopal Church designed by la Rose between 1939-1940.
Rendered by Chad Krouse, 2024.

Over the past several days, I've gone back and revised several old articles.  I wanted to overhaul several important posts to fit my style standards, etc.  One such article, "Variations on a theme: Pierre de Chaignon la Rose and the cross in national colors," desperately needed to be updated.  Furthermore, I was able to add two more corporate coats within this same theme.  Please click here to read a thematic analysis of 13 corporate coats designed by la Rose in the cross in national colors.  

For a non-la Rosian article, I've revised the "Heraldry of the University of the South," and included new emblazonments rendered by Lucas A. Hofmann.  Please click here to learn more about the heraldry of The University of the South.

I'm currently working on another unidentifiable scholastic coat and fielding numerous emails from archives all over the place--an exciting time as I prepare to close a chapter on data collection.  I can hear my dissertation chair in my head saying, "after 10 years, you have enough data (250 or so corporate arms) so start your analysis and write!"  Yes, I hear this message loud and clear.  To be honest, it is exhausting at this point to keep searching for new discoveries, as the gap seems to widen more and more in locating sources for attribution and dating.  

Furthermore, I have since accepted that I could either spend the rest of my life hunting down lost arms designed by la Rose, or simply push forward with the data in hand.  I've longed believed that no single researcher holds an absolute knowledge on any given subject.  The goal of research, in the end, is to publish and plant a flag in the ground pointing the way for others to follow.  It is my hope that others will continue the quest I started back in 2014.  Onwards!  



0 comments: