Recent Posts

Friday, February 23, 2024

Behind the Scenes II: Restoring the Dignified Arms of Lenox School

The seal and arms of Lenox School as designed by la Rose.
I was fortunate to find a decent image which cleaned up rather nicely.
I've come to serve, not to be served, a simplification of Matthew 20:28, truly is my goal regarding the heraldic research of Pierre de Chaignon la Rose (1872-1941).  This passage from Matthew 20:28 was also the motto selected for the arms of Lenox School which was located in Lenox, Massachusetts.  Lenox School, affiliated with The Episcopal Church, opened its doors in 1926 to embody among many things, this Gospel passage from Matthew.  While the school closed in 1972, today an active alumni association continues to work assiduously to preserve the school's legacy.  Please click here to visit the Lenox School Alumni Association's website.  

La Rose's library painting of the arms of Lenox School. 
Image courtesy of the Lenox School Alumni Association.
Sometime between 1930-1931, la Rose was commissioned to design arms for the school and you can read more on his design in a previously written article.  Please click here to read "A Case Study of la Rose's Designs for Episcopal Preparatory Schools."

The blazon la Rose created for the arms of Lenox School: Sable, on a cross saltire an open book edged and inscribed Non ministrari Sed ministrare between three roses and in chief a martin all Or.

When I began researching la Rose's work back in 2014, Lenox School was among the first I discovered.  I immediately found the alumni association's online presence and sent my inquiry to them regarding their beautiful arms.  Much to my delight, I received a lot of information due largely to the group's work in documenting the history of Lenox School.  

Fast forward to 2023.  This past December, the alumni association kindly asked if they could publish my case study article, resuming a rich correspondence that began back in 2014.  No matter that those school doors closed so many years ago, I remain thankful for the association's dedication to sharing the school's story and this got me thinking.  How could I repay the association's kindness while also contributing towards their preservation efforts?  Well, since I was able to assist the Medieval Academy of America with their exquisite arms designed by la Rose, I figured I could do the same for Lenox School.  Please click here to read, "Behind the Scenes: The Heraldic Identity of the Medieval Academy of America."

I contacted my colleague Lucas Hofmann with my ideas, as he expertly recreated the arms for the Medieval Academy of America and I knew we could accomplish the same finished product for the alumni association.

Click image to enlarge.

From la Rose's library painting above, I was able to use his original version of the arms for restoration.  While the image was clearly distorted due to age, I knew we could work with this asset.  I wanted everything to match exactly as la Rose painted these arms--using the font which best matched la Rose's lettering, Stempel Schneidler, for the inscription on the open book and adding the two crosses pattee as well.  

In addition to the shield, I wanted to create an armorial flag and banner for Lenox School to showcase la Rose's masterful design for the school.  Based on my studies of how la Rose created armorial flags for those schools commissioning such pieces, I was able to carefully layout for Hofmann how Lenox School's arms would appear in this format.  What is the difference between an armorial flag and an armorial banner?  While there is a lot of history surrounding both, here is my simplified explanation.  

Click image to enlarge.

Armorial flags are heraldic ensigns appropriated for outdoor use and typically used by corporate bodies.  Rectangular in shape, the armorial flag often uses a ratio of 2:3; however, the flag of the corporate sole is rendered longer in length to show its importance in relation to any other flags.  

Armorial banner of arms for Lenox School, rendered by Lucas Hofmann.
In the modern era, armorial banners are usually square in shape and may include fringe around the border--which does not have to match livery colors.  Nowadays, armorial banners are typically flown indoors.  The banners displayed inside Westminster Abbey identifying Knights and Dames of the Order of the Bath, and those inside St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle for members of the Order of the Garter, are just two examples of how armorial banners are used today.  

I was thrilled with Hofmann's work, per usual, and plan to send all my digital files to the alumni association with the hopes that they will use to celebrate la Rose's design for their beloved alma mater.  That the alumni association continues to use Lenox School's arms created between 1930-1931 proves the carrying power of clear, perspicuous heraldry to provide meaningful corporate identification even in 2024.  The arms of Lenox School are nearly 93-years old today, and I hope that by digitally rendering these arms they will be preserved and cherished for many more years to come.  

0 comments: