Recent Posts

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Icon of Saint Hugh, Bishop of Lincoln

Saint Hugh of Lincoln (1135-1200) has one of the best Collects found in Lesser Feast and Fasts:

O holy God, you endowed your servant and bishop Hugh of Lincoln with wise and cheerful boldness, and taught him to commend the discipline of holy life to kings and princes: Grant that we also, rejoicing in the Good News of your mercy, and fearing nothing but the loss of you, may be bold to speak the truth in love, in the name of Jesus Christ our Redeemer; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

I wanted an icon of St. Hugh and needless to say, there are very few out there.  So I decided to write one.  I wanted to put Hugh in his Carteusian habit rather than in episcopal vestments (as he is usually portrayed).  I wanted him to hold my favorite line from Hugh's collect which is a reference to Ephesians 4:15--speaking the truth in love.  Size is 16 in. x 12 in., acrylic on wood.

I am very pleased with how Hugh turned out.  I think this is the fastest (though I am fully aware that this is not the point of iconography) icon I've written.  It was done over the course of the Christmas break and finished in early 2009.

0 comments: