Recent Posts

Monday, March 22, 2010

Hungry For Change: Food, Inc.


The documentary film, Food, Inc., came out this fall and is the work of filmmaker Robert Kenner.  I rented it last night on i-Tunes and was captivated.  Think you know the real source of your food?  Do you know how many products in the grocery store contain corn or corn-related by-products?  Do you realize how few companies are controlling the food sources--from seed to supermarket--in this global economy?  

While I don't think this film will turn you into a vegetarian, it will certainly make you think twice when you are in the check-out line buying food for you or your family.  The film is well made, I think, and covers poultry, pork, beef, corn, and soybeans.  My favorite is the philosopher-farmer in Virginia, you'll know him when you see him!  Join the chase of the "seed nazis" who stop at nothing to protect their patent rights in the farm fields of America.  Be advised, there are some scenes showing how animals are slaughtered, but it's not the end of the world.  Watch it, it's well worth the hour-and-a-half of your time.

The makers of the film have created a website, Hungry For Change, where you can find out more information and ways to make a change in your food.  

2 comments:

Padre Rob+ said...

I watched this some time ago. Convicting to say the least. I remain frustrated with how difficult it is to get locally produced, organic food. Most people simply can't afford it.

I'm going to try to grow some of my own food this year (Heaven help me, I have no horticultural skills LOL) and I am trying to be more intentional about the foods I buy in the grocery store. Thanks for posting this.

Anonymous said...

I have heard great things about this film from my parish priest - will have to check it out at some point for sure.