Recent Posts

Monday, June 8, 2020

Ich Mache Rechte: Notes on an Imperfect Motto


A recent emblazonment by the talented Sivane Saray of Brussels, Belgium.

Years ago when I was developing my coat of arms, I knew I wanted the motto to be rendered in German.  As a fifth generation German-American, I felt it was important to blend my German ancestry into the arms which otherwise are very English in nature.  The "crie de guerre" is the war cry carried into battle by soldiers under the knight's banner, at least that's the origin of the motto in association with coat armour.  I believe it to be the least important element of the armorial achievement.

Thanks to German speaking viewers on Facebook, most scratch their heads when they see my arms with the motto, "Ich Mache Rechte."  They rightfully ask, "I make rights?  What on earth?"  It's a fair question.  One that I'm getting used to answering more and more.  

It all started with Google translator in 2014.  Yes, all those years of taking French classes in high school and college was of no use to me on this particular project.  And I'm not ashamed to admit that I turned to Google for help.  In hindsight, I would have asked on Facebook for assistance with the translation and would have undoubtedly received it.  But, since I've invested a lot in registrations and emblazonments, the motto is now etched in stone.  

I make right, is my interpretation of Ich Mache Rechte.  The sentiment is deeply personal and meaningful to me.  As I look back on my young life to date, I strive to make right the things in my life that have gone wrong; poor decisions, damaged relationships, and all the normal human choices we face each and every day.  By nature, I'm a very reflective person.  I seek guidance for the future from my past.  Perhaps this is why biography is one of my favorite genres in books.   

I hope these brief notes help explain my imperfect motto, it's like me, imperfect.  I'm going to keep it.

0 comments: