Recent Posts

Monday, June 8, 2020

Update: The Attributed Arms of the Black Lives Matter Movement


A graffitied image of the attributed arms. Source: Reddit

I want to post an update to a previous one concerning my proposed arms of the Black Lives Matter movement.  Click here to read the original post on my design for the attributed arms of the Black Lives Matter movement.  I've been simply blown away by the several emblazonments of the attributed arms of the Black Lives Matter movement sent in by readers.  I honestly wondered if anyone actually read my blog, well I have an answer now!  I wanted to share some stylistic interpretations of my blazon.  


Attributed arms of the Black Lives Matter Movement emblazoned by Brian Jeffs.

Attributed arms of the Black Lives Matter Movement emblazoned by Mike Owens.

I like how each one took time to put their mark on the arms.  Brian's dove looks peaceful yet fierce.  Mike's shield composition is on point.  Again, thank you to both of these fine gentlemen for taking time to help this design come alive.

I especially love the graffiti work!  This proves that you can affect change within your locus of control, especially if you get creative with how you can help work towards social justice.  I'm truly humbled.

Earlier this morning I contacted a colleague through Facebook who lives in Canada with a commission to render these arms.  I'll share those as soon as they come in.     


The banner of Black Lives Matter arms, sent in by an anonymous reader.

The banner of Black Lives Matter arms, sent in by an anonymous reader.

I've doodled some more as I was never quite happy with the dove's face.  Here's my revision as of June 10th.  The revised blazon is: Argent a fist couped Sable flaunches Gules masoned of the field, on a chief Vert a demi dove displayed of the first with a halo Or.  I hope this helps the overall color scheme and helps depict the dove of peace more fittingly.  For the dove, I used La Rose's arrangement of heraldic birds.  I mean, he's the best!

The revised arms of the Black Lives Matter Movement by Chad M. Krouse, June 10, 2020.
The attributed arms of the Black Lives Matter Movement, designed by Chad M. Krouse and digitally emblazoned by Dimitri Prica of Canada, 2020.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Guess this is how the banner of arms would look like

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/319914098311823361/719997627864842312/Screenshot_20200609_213322.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/319914098311823361/719996088982962196/sketch-1591730821071.png

Dr. Chad M. Krouse said...

Wow! Thank you for rendering these banners. I love flying heraldry. I'm happy to post these.

Unknown said...

👍

Unknown said...

A different redditor made a graffiti
https://www.reddit.com/r/heraldry/comments/gzsy3n/attributed_arms_of_blm/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Dr. Chad M. Krouse said...

Thank you! I love the graffiti work. Blown away!

Dr. Chad M. Krouse said...

I've posted a revised design with updated blazon.