Recent Posts

Friday, September 27, 2024

36th International Congress of Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences

What an incredible week in Boston!  Attending the 36th International Congress of Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences was truly special--the first time this gathering has been held in the US.  The action took place inside Old South Church on Boylston Street in the heart of the Back Bay area.

And there were so many highlights.

First and foremost, meeting colleagues for the first time in person was truly memorable.  It is astonishing how one can write, share, and collaborate with others while never having met in person.  Whether from Facebook, Discord, or even Instagram, it was awesome to put actual faces to usernames. I actually believe, now, that having met so many folks in person have enriched those professional relationships while giving me an even great depth of appreciation for who they are as well as their contributions to our field.

I was able to connect with fellow board members from the American Heraldry Society as well as the College of Arms of Foundation.

Title slide from my presentation.

Secondly, it was a high honor to have been selected to present a portion of my research on Pierre de Chaignon la Rose (1872-1941) during the Congress.  To say I felt pressure to give la Rose the appreciation he deserves--especially in his adopted hometown of Boston--would be an understatement.  

Slide showing la Rose's breakdown via frequency distribution for his heraldic work in the Episcopal Church. Click to enlarge.

I spent a lot of time, perhaps too much, in creating all the digital emblazonments for the presentation.  I wanted everything to be streamlined and in full color so that audience participants could visually understand la Rose's methods.  In exactly 30-minutes, I think I was able to do justice for the American heraldic designer without belaboring any minute point which I may have felt critical for understanding.  

Example of how la Rose used the ancestral arms of the Dominican Order
to create new identities for US-based Dominican institutions.  Click to enlarge.

Now as the Congress winds down today, I will write my article to be published in the Congress journal in 2025--another extraordinary opportunity to make a meaningful contribution for la Rose!  

0 comments: