Recent Posts

Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Heraldic Artist Spotlight: Dr. Antonio Salmeron

 

Dr. Antonio Salmeron of Madrid, Spain. 
Image is from Dr. Salmeron's website.

For the second installment highlighting heraldic artists, I'm pleased to present Dr. Antonio Salmeron from Madrid, Spain.  Perhaps one of the most prolific heraldic artists these days, Dr. Salmeron is quite busy producing high-quality work found across the globe.  

A scholar by training, Dr. Salmeron's methodology supporting his heraldic work is best explained in his own words.  

"My style as a heraldic artist could be drawn with three terms: clear, symbolic and methodic.

"It is clear because my work searches pieces which transmit energy and vital force to the owner and its relatives. I think that a coat of arms should be a source of light and joy and an expression of freedom. That's why in my heraldic creative process I do prefer to get inspiration in early stages of the heraldic history and portray that freshness to the present.

"It is symbolic because coats of arms must be a representation of its bearer, his/her ideals, goals, motivations, history and anything he/she might want to display. Thus, the creation of a coat of arms should encompass all the signifieds brought by the future owner together with its signifiers, the blazon heraldic rules and the art contributed by the heraldic artist.

"It is methodical because heraldic art is founded on a science, the so called science of heraldry. This systematic knowledge has its principles, its composition rules and its own formal language all of those the true foundations of my artistic methodology. The method must not be considered disincentive to creativity, but a fair support and a guarantee of the professional work" (Blason, 2023 September 11). 

From International Society of Commoners Heraldry: Roll of Arms,
page 18, as an example of Dr. Salmeron's work.
I admire how Dr. Salmeron adopted his own methods to maintain consistency with all his work.  You can definitely tell that this heraldic artist is very much a scholar.

I connected with Dr. Salmeron in 2020 during pandemic through a growing and vibrant Facebook group, "The International Society of Commoners Heraldry."  

Now with more than 2,300 Facebook members, the Society purports to provide, "a place for those who choose to embrace heraldry in the contemporary world as a means of representing themselves using the traditional symbolism of Heraldry."

As an example of just one project, Dr. Salmeron created an armorial for the group, cataloging arms for each member as they join--the Roll of Arms grows by the week and Dr. Salmeron keeps quite busy here.  In addition to his ongoing projects with the International Society of Commoners Heraldry, Dr. Salmeron receives commissions from all of the world to either create new arms or emblazonments of existing arms rendered in his own style. 

Ever the scholar, Dr. Salmeron provides insight into how he applies his methods for arms to achieve harmony between the art and science of heraldry.  The image below is taken from the "Friends of Dr. Antonio Salermon Cabanas" Facebook group as an illustration of Dr. Salmeron's methodology in action. 

Finding balance between the art and science of heraldry in the work of Dr. Salmeron.  Image is from "Friends of Dr. Antonio Salmeron Cabanas" Facebook group, September 2023.

Finally, I'm pleased to share my arms rendered by Dr. Salmeron, in which I requested his Spanish style to give my arms that Salmeron touch.

The arms of Chad M. Krouse, rendered in the Spanish style by Dr. Salmeron, May 2020.

I highly recommend Dr. Salmeron to anyone looking to either design their own arms or simply create a new and unique emblazonment of existing arms.  Please click here to view Dr. Salmeron's website for contact information.  You simply won't be disappointed!  Dr. Salmeron is a scholar and a gentleman.  

2 comments:

The Traveling Antiquarian said...

Wow, I am honored that you chose to display Dr. Salmeron's rendition of my arms on your blog. It was a pleasant surprise.

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, you will notice that the same coat of arms appears three times on the example page; that's because my arms (and thus, those of my dad and my cousin as well) follow the Germanic heraldic tradition, where the coat of arms is worn by the entire family, and the distinction between family branches is shown in the crest. The ISCH does not display crests in its Roll of Arms, only the coat. Thus, at first glance, my father, cousin, and I appear to have identical arms, because the crest has been omitted. But rest assured, our crests are quite distinctive, ha ha.

MODERATOR NOTE: I noticed that comments are moderated. Can I leave my website URL here? (For those who would like to see the three crests?) If not, simply edit out this comment, and the comment+URL below. If it is ok, then just edit out this comment.

For those of you who would like to see what the crests look like, feel free to browse my website at: https://altenaugenealogyheraldry.wordpress.com/

Thanks once again for sharing my arms on your blog. Seeing this post really brightened my day. Cheers!

Dr. Chad M. Krouse said...

Thanks for sharing!