Recent Posts

Saturday, September 16, 2023

Heraldic Artist Spotlight: Steve Cowan

 

Steve Cowan hard at work in British Columbia, Canada. 
Image source:  Steve Cowan Heraldic Artist website.

For the third installment of my series celebrating heraldic artists from around the world, I'm pleased to spotlight Mr. Steve Cowan from British Columbia, Canada.  To read posts on other heraldic artists featured in this series, click the blog tag "Heraldic Artist Series" at the end of this post.  Cowan was the very first heraldic artist I ever commissioned once I finalized the design for my own assumed arms.  Cowan has truly been a delight to work with over the years, and his story is fascinating.   

Initially, Cowan's foray into fine arts was through oil painting, but a 10-year journey around the world would pause all of that until 1980.  Cowan writes:

"Upon my return to Canada in 1980, career and family considerations kept me from pursuing endeavours in fine art.   While my wife, Judy, and I enjoyed photography as we travelled, I didn’t take up painting until quite recently.  Shortly before I finished my 30-year airline career in 2002, I took an oil painting course in Vancouver.  

The arms of Steve Cowan,
granted by the Canadian Heraldic
Authority in 2018.  Cowan designed
his arms which the CHA approved.
Image source: Steve Cowan Heraldic
Art, September 2023.
"After we traveled parts of Europe and Australia we settled in the Comox Valley in 2003.  Here I met Bill Maximick and admired how he uses acrylics to do his marine paintings.  Since then Bill has been my mentor and teacher" (Steve Cowan Heraldic Art, 15 September 2023).

Once Cowan caught the heraldry bug, it was game over.  

"In May 2015 I was presented with my Licentiate  (Level Three) qualification from the Royal Heraldry Society of Canada (R.H.S.C.).  I have been a member of the R.H.S.C. since 2009; in 2016 I was elected as the President of the BC/Yukon Branch of the R.H.S.C. At the 2019 Annual Conference of the Royal Heraldry Society of Canada in Calgary I was award a Meritorious Service Award for all the fun I have working with the Society members.

"I have been an Associate member of the Society of Heraldic Arts of the U.K. since 2014.  In April 2017 I was accepted as a Craft member of the Society following an assessment of my portfolio of heraldic work.  I am thrilled to have this recognition from fellow heraldic artists and to join other Canadians as Craft members" (Steve Cowan Heraldic Art, 15 September 2023).

The crest and arms of Chad M. Krouse,
emblazoned by Steve Cowan.
In 2014, I contacted Cowan to digitally render my assumed arms.  This commission would be my very first time working directly with a professional heraldic artist.  Since I was a pure novice at the time, Cowan was extremely patient and kind fielding all my questions.  I was simply nervous about working with, much less sending money to, someone in another country whom I've never met.  Ever the gentleman, Cowan would ease all of my anxiety surrounding this commission.  

The process of getting my arms to an acceptable design took months.  I wanted to design my arms to be the signature and identification of myself, and I took this task quite seriously.  In a previous article, "The Man and His Arms: An Origin Story," I provide more detail on the design evolution.  Please click here to read this article.  My humble line drawings in pencil could not prepare me for seeing the arms digitally in full color.  The end result, however, filled me with so much pride at seeing the design come alive. 

Needless to say, I was very happy with my first digital emblazonment.  Cowan's work was both thoroughly detailed and highly professional.  Moreover, though this initial commission, Cowan instilled in me a greater sense of confidence to work with other heraldic artists--something I rather treasure.  

In addition to his digital heraldry, Cowan is something of craftsman.  Recently, I commissioned him to make a wall plaque and table shield in my arms.  Upon opening the box, I was blown away by the quality and care Cowan pours into his work.  The finished products are of the highest quality and expertly crafted by Cowan.

A wall plaque and table shield of the arms of Chad M. Krouse,
designed and hand-crafted by Steve Cowan, September 2023.

I simply cannot say enough about how much I have appreciated working with Cowan over the years.  I highly recommend his services and can testify that the final product represents his utmost passion and devotion to the art and science of heraldry.

Please click here to visit Cowan's website to view his services and portfolio.  Additionally, there is a link to his website on the left under "Websites of Interest."

Support our heraldic artists who diligently translate the otherwise arcane blazons into colorful works of art--keeping heraldry alive and relevant today.  Cowan and others continue to provide expert services and friendly advice for anyone seeking to emblazon arms.  Without these artists, the field would be bleak and void of the vibrancy which heraldry calls for and these artists proudly answer.  Trust me, the reader would not be content with my penciled line drawings.   

0 comments: