Recent Posts

Monday, September 18, 2023

Heraldic Artist Spotlight: Dimitri Prica

Dimitri Prica of Canada who created his own digital style of heraldry.
Image from Dimitri Prica, Heraldic Art, September 2023.
In the fourth installment in my ongoing series celebrating heraldic artists from around the world, I'm pleased to share the work of Mr. Dimitri Prica from Canada.  To read posts on the other heraldic artists featured in this series, click the blog tag "Heraldic Artist Series" at the end of this post.  Prica is the youngest heraldic artist to be spotlighted so far, and has crafted his own style within the field--using dark colors and various shading techniques to render arms.  

The "Prica style" is simply fresh, young, and eye-catching.  One reader shared this astute observation recently regarding Pica's emblazonments of arms found on this blog: "they look much like stained glass and, as you say, lend a modern and with-it air to an ancient art form."  Prica gives us some background on his website:
"I've been a freelance heraldic artist since 2020, when my creations started getting some attention. My initial drive in the world of heraldic art was a desire to broaden my own collection, so I spent a fair while toying around with various styles, often taking inspiration from old manuscripts and adapting them to the vector-editing tools I am familiar with" (Dimitri Prica Heraldic Art, About Me, September 18, 2023).  

Moreover, Prica discovered that he could incorporate his designs through Vector artwork.

"Once I recognized that vector artwork can look stunning, if and only if one is willing to invest the necessary time, I developed a textured style with lighting effects, diapering, the works. 

"In parallel, and almost despite myself, I developed a second house style based on flat colours and more modern compositions. These are often used as bookplates because of their bold outlines and ease of print, but they have also been declined as stamps or embossers" (Dimitri Prica Heraldic Art, About Me, September 18, 2023).  

Since 2020, Prica's work has exploded onto the heraldic scene as evidenced by his growing portfolio of completed commissions and services he readily offers.

Ex Libris for Chad M. Krouse
designed and rendered by Dimitri Prica, 2020.

I first engaged Prica during the COVID-19 pandemic lockdown for several heraldic projects.  At the time I discovered Prica's work online, I believe through his Instagram account, Prica was showcasing several recently completed ex libris commissions.  I simply had to have one rendered in his style.  Additionally, I worked with Prica to emblazon my design of attributed arms for the Black Lives Matter Movement in 2020.  Please click here to read and see Prica's work regarding these attributed arms.

Furthermore, you can readily see the evolution of the "Prica style" through two emblazonments rendered of my arms--one in 2020 and the other in 2023.

Arms of Chad M. Krouse emblazoned by Dimitri Prica in 2020.

Can you see the differences?  It's quite extraordinary to see how artists mature into their own styles throughout the course of time and experience.  If I had to choose between these two shields, I much prefer Prica's 2023 emblazonment--I love the lines used to highlight the charges.

The arms of Chad M. Krouse emblazoned by Dimitri Prica in 2023.

Needless to say, I've been keeping Prica busy these days with loads of projects.  I commissioned Prica to render several coats of arms for the blog, as I needed to update so many images.  The blog's masthead at the top is all Prica and brings a sorely needed fresh vibe to my blog.

A modern emblazonment by Dimitri Prica in 2023 for
the badge of Hampden-Sydney College.

There's simply a lot to say about Prica's careful eye for design along with his evolution as a young heraldic artist.  I am grateful that I discovered Prica's work back in 2020 and that we continue to work together on various heradry-related projects.

0 comments: